Cube In Residence Programme
Internship in Cube design labs: co-creation & design thinking
Cube design museum offers students, young designers and alumni the possibility to work in the three Cube design labs. Students can join us within the framework of an internship, a minor or graduation project. This allows young designers to add to their skills and to deepen their knowledge. Ideally, the multidisciplinary teams are made up of students from different disciplines, faculties and nationalities, of experts from relevant disciplines and of end-users.
The teams apply the principles of design thinking, co-creation and co-design. They find solutions for issues or challenges, together with visitors, scientists, stakeholders and end-users. The starting point will be “Design for human needs and ambitions”. The teams will complete the design process from initial problem definition until end-product. They will come up with new products, concepts or services for which the “Cube Call” was formulated on the basis of a request from society, industry, social organisations or specific interested parties.
The Cube design labs are set up in three laboratories, named after the three stages of the process: ASK, IMAGINE and CREATE. The facilities, ambiance and orientation differ from one lab to another for an optimal support of the design process.
"Ten years from now I can say I was there, as a pioneer of Cube design museum."
Each team works on its own design project, the “Cube Call”. This call is to be completed within a period ranging from a number of weeks to some months. It will tie in with the criteria formulated by the members' training institutions and the Cube design museum will provide expert support as to design thinking and design. The results will be permanently showed in the Cube museum collection, physically or digitally. In other words, the design processes and their final outcomes will remain visible for the museum's visitors.
Cube is also organising during the summer period of 2019 a Summer Camp. This is a four-week-internship where students and recent graduates can join masterclasses, coaching sessions and co-create with visitors in order to design a more harmonious and regenerative future, in which nature is perceived as a guide and partner.
"An unique working environment with lots of variety in contacts and activities. Learn to design during close cooperation in a fun team."
- Internship: continuously, can be started any time
- Duration: at least 3 months
- Weekly hours: 40
- Internship fee: subject to mutual agreement
Who are we looking for?
- Designers of products or services
- Team players
- Good communicative skills in spoken and written English (and/or Dutch, German)
- Blog writers who document the design process
- Monthly availability on a number of days during weekends and holidays
- Location: Kerkrade
What do we have to offer?
- Working on meaningful design that has an impact on the world
- Working as a designer in a multidisciplinary (and international) team
- Being part of the first Dutch design museum in Holland
- The design (process) will be included in the permanent Cube design museum collection
- All-round internship
- Access to rapid prototyping machines: laser cutters, 3D printers, etc.
Are you looking for an unforgettable experience and do you want to work in the first Dutch design museum?